Although not necessary, toner can be an important part of your skin care regimen. It’s designed to control oil, help heal acne, provide extra cleaning from wearing heavy products and shrink pores. Essentially, toner is a second line of defense to clean your face.
As with all products, it’s important to be aware of the ingredients that you put in and on your body. This awareness is even more important if you have sensitive skin. Specific ingredients can be bad for your health and for your skin. If you use toner or are in the market for a toner, here is a list of ingredients you may want to avoid (in all of your consumable goods):
- Sodium Laurel Sulfate (SLS) – Foaming agent that may irritate sensitive skin; known to harm aquatic life.
- Sodium Laureate Sulfate (SLES) – Detergent that is rated as a “moderate hazard” identified with disrupt endocrine disruption, cancer, irritation of skin and organ toxicity.
- Fragrance – Additive that creates the specific smell of a product; may trigger allergies and cause skin irritations.
- Toluene – Solvent that breaks down chemical bonds such as glue and nail polish; may negatively impact the brain, nervous system, kidney and liver.
- Parabens – Agent that prevents the growth of fungus, bacteria, mold and other harmful agents in consumer goods; linked to certain types of cancer.
- Phthalates – Ingredient the allows for the flexibility of plastics; can damage kidney, liver, reproductive system and lungs.
- Formaldehyde – Resin used materials for coating; irritates eyes, nose and throat and linked asthma (short-term), certain cancers and chemical burns on skin tissue.
- Synthetic Colors – Chemicals that give products specific colors; ingredients may irritate sensitive skin and trigger allergies.
- Triclosan – Ingredient used to prevent bacterial growth; linked to weak immune system, skin cancer and increased risk of eczema, asthma and allergies in children.
THE MASS EDEN BLOG IS PUBLISHED BY MASS EDEN AND DOES NOT REPRESENT THE VIEWS OR OPINIONS OF ASSOCIATED PEOPLE, ORGANIZATIONS OR INSTITUTIONS, UNLESS EXPRESSLY STATED. ANY GENERAL ADVICE POSTED ON THIS BLOG IS FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY. IT IS NOT INTENDED TO REPLACE OR BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR ANY MEDICAL, POLITICAL OR OTHER ADVICE. IT IS ALSO NOT INTENDED TO MALIGN ANY GROUP/INDIVIDUAL, RELIGION, CLUB OR ORGANIZATION.
THE MASS EDEN BLOG AND MASS EDEN DO NOT MAKE ANY REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES FOR INFORMATION THAT IS PROVIDED ON THIS SITE OR ACCURACY AND/OR COMPLETENESS OF INFORMATION FOUND BY FOLLOWING ANY OF THE CONTAINED LINKS . AND BOTH ENTITIES EXPRESSLY DISCLAIM ANY AND ALL LIABILITY CONCERNING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, ANY TREATMENT, ACTION, OR EFFECT REALIZED BY ANY PERSON FOLLOWING THE GENERAL INFORMATION OFFERED OR PROVIDED WITHIN OR THROUGH THE MASS EDEN BLOG. IF YOU HAVE SPECIFIC CONCERNS OR A SITUATION ARISES IN WHICH YOU REQUIRE MEDICAL ADVICE OR ATTENTION, YOU SHOULD CONSULT WITH AN APPROPRIATELY TRAINED AND QUALIFIED MEDICAL RESOURCE.